My Blog List

Saturday 18 July 2015

Creole/ African Influenced lunch

Some of the lunches we cook and enjoy have African origin, one of the most popular we enjoy is 'callaloo'. Callaloo is prepared using dasheen bush. I remember when I visited my sister in London, we couldn't get dasheen bush so we used spinach instead which wasn't the same but it did. You can put also most anything in callaloo ochre, crab and pigtail. I prefer pigtail. Some important ingredients callaloo must have is coconut milk, pumpkin, pimento and chado beni which I mentioned in an earlier post was used a lot by the Amerindian for seasoning meat. Callaloo can be eaten with anything from plantain to cassava and crab and dumpling.



1 comment:

  1. I still remember eating this every sunday wishing it had crab inside it lol.

    ReplyDelete